Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Epic Fantasy Warfare




I don't know about you, but the primary reason I read fantasy and enjoy Epic Fantasy are the chance readings for large battles between mythical forces. It's not something I've found often while reading, but one of my favorite books, "The Legend of Huma"did a fantastic job of following it's characters, telling a story, while capturing epic battles in between its pages. This wasn't some giant tomb of a story either, a simple 384 page stand alone novel was able to capture what felt as massive as a World War. This is something I look forward to when reading fantasy, some massive battle pitting armies against one another, something that only seems a common occurrence in books dubbed Epic Fantasy.

Of course there's a lot more to Epic Fantasy than armies clashing, but it does tend to happen with some regularity in those novels and this is why I favor the "genre". However, it is not the only genre to capture this feeling, for example Joe Ambercrombie's "The Heroes" itself isn't Epic Fantasy but the book's setting is one massive battle. This is the sort of story that I enjoy, and it's one that I would recommend to anyone who enjoys reading about epic battles.

Knowing that this is the sort of thing that I enjoy, it is one that comes to the fore front when I'm crafting characters and developing themes. They need to come to life during, or allow for, massive battles that show all the stops. This is something I hope to be able to bring to a head here in the coming weeks. Some tentative chapters involving characters caught up in a battle. I'm sure it won't be easy, but it's definitely something worth trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment